EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
July 1999 PG Diploma in Periodical Journalism from City University.
June 1997 BA Hons. degree in Politics from Nottingham University.
Nov 2012 PG Cert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education (Distinction) from London Metropolitan University.
Oct 2012 - MA Creative Writing at London Metropolitan University.
- Online editor/journalist – Daily Telegraph Online, The Huffington Post U.K., Mostlyreadingya.com
I blog for the sites above and helped set up the Channel 5 site Holy Soap!, for which I managed a team. I have also worked as a web news journalist for Sky, AOL, BBC Online, Daily Mail Online, Empire Online, Total Film and Press Association. I have experience of using various CMS, am SEO savvy and can use Photoshop. I am comfortable working with PRs and on-site marketing teams. I Tweet under the name @benfalkwriter.
- Multimedia Content Producer – Sun Online, Press Association, TV Safari
I also have significant experience producing entertainment multimedia content for the Internet. I can self-shoot and edit my own material on Final Cut Pro. I currently produce and feature in an audio podcast about television called TV Safari (tvsafari.wordpress.com). My video work has featured on dozens on sites including APTN and AOL TV.
- Hollywood Bureau Chief – Press Association
I set up and ran the PA Los Angeles bureau, providing all of PA’s showbiz footage and copy from the West Coast. I commissioned content, as well as produced/directed hundreds of film junkets and red carpet premieres, as well as covering the Oscars, Golden Globes and Emmys.
- Assistant News Editor – Look magazine
This involved working as the deputy to the editor of the front section of this weekly lifestyle magazine, which regularly sold more than 400,000 copies. I also regularly led editorial meetings and commissioned the team to write articles.
- Entertainment Writer – New Idea (Australia), Woman’s Day (Australia), Empire, Total Film, Press Association, BBC Films, Company, Reveal, Grazia, More et al.
This included writing features, news and interviews as well as consumer and real-life pieces.
- Author – Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall And Rise Of The Comeback Kid, The Wonder Of Brian Cox, Television’s Strangest Moments
My biography of Robert Downey Jr. was published by Portico in 2010. The Brian Cox book was released in June 2012 through John Blake. The anthology book Television’s Strangest Moments was published in August 2005.
- Producer – The Movie Chart Show
For this weekly film show I led and commissioned the team, chose content, wrote the script, shot and edited packages and worked with the presenter in the studio during the record. I also wrangled with the channel about transmission.
- Television Producer – APTN, Channel 4, ITV, Sony International, Sky
I have worked as a producer/director, development producer and web multimedia producer across various channels. I have also made documentaries and come up with show ideas. My docu-drama Terror Alert! became a £1 million for Sky 1. I also cover international film junkets for various outlets.
- Festival Correspondent & Publicist – Cannes Film Festival, Sundance Film Festival, London Film Festival
I have covered various film festivals both as a journalist and was a PR at Cannes. Also at Cannes, I made a half-hour television special about the event.
REFEREES ON REQUEST